- Improving Rails Enums using i18n
A helper method I wrote to make Enum in Rails more user presentable using i18n.
- My first year as a Digital Nomad
A handful of pictures showing my first year of being a Digital Nomad.
- Rails internationalisation (i18n) cheatsheet
A collection of examples of how to use the rails internationalisation (i18n) and a few quick start tools.
- Additional Ruby Solr Sunspot setup tweaks
A few tweaks I made to my searchable blocks to make Solr Sunspot better.
- 6 Nifty Rails hacks you should be using
Six fairly generic Rails tips that are pretty obvious, but will improve performance and help keep your codebase tidier. Number 3 won't shock you.
- Monitor Rails memory usage during acceptance tests
I had a memory leak in my Rails app and tracked it down using Oink.
- Seeding with Seedbank
A video explaining how to use Seedbank in a rails project.
- Some thoughts on making a jQuery plugin
I wrote a jQuery Plugin. Here are notes on the parts of used.
- Displaying a Twitter feed
How to use the twitter gem to display tweets then fragment caching to keep things quick.
- How to make a contact form
How to make a contact form in Rails with a BDD approach
- I finally rebuilt my site :D
A overview of some of the techniques I used to quickly rebuild my site
- My OSX setup
The brews I normally have to run to get setup
- Geeklet for monitoring server ping
A geektool geeklet code sample that shows server status and ping.
- How to setup a global .gitignore
How to setup a global gitignore which will help ignore annoying system files accorss all your git projects.
- JustDelete.Me Chrome Extension
JustDelete.me chrome extension blog post giving a elevator pitch on its functionality with a screenshot.
- Preparing your blog for traffic spikes
A collection of benchmarking tools and caching solutions which should help keep a small site online during traffic spikes.
- Reducing position:fixed; rendering lag due to scaled images
Using position:fixed; causes the page to lag when your scrolling, scaled images make this issues worse. Here is a fix to make it less noticeable.
- My Web Development Stack
A few details about my local development environment and software I use.
- How to backup a website to S3 on Ubuntu Server
A script breakdown of how to move backup your website (files and database) to Amazon S3 on Ubuntu Server
- Update all the things!
I updated a few of my Wordpress plugins, this is the summary.
- Stuff I'm going to use more in 2013
6 new year resolutions for 2013.
- List current active connections on Mac OSX
A shell script that shows active connections on Mac OSX
- How to get better signal from the Virgin Media Super Hub
A method to improve the signal of the Virgin Media SuperHub
- 5 tips for traveling with Android smartphones
A few tips for traveling with an Android phone
- Getting started with Git
A video of the talk I gave in April on getting started with Git
- Speed up bluetooth devices connecting to OSX
An OSX trick to make bluetooth devices connect faster.
- How to use Google Web Fonts on Wufoo forms
How to embed custom fonts from google web fonts into Wufoo forms.
- MySQL REPLACE function
An example of how to use the MySQL REPLACE function.
- Using cookieless domains to improve a website performance
A demo of how to set up a cookieless domain
- PDO (PHP Data Objects) - Starter Guide
How to move off the deprecated mysql_* and start using PDO in PHP
How to use querySelector in JS to make CSS style selections in JS
- How to do a timed shutdown on your PC
How to do a timed shutdown on Windows 7 and 8
- PHP's Ctype Functions
PHPs Ctype functions which validate strings quickly without regex.
- How to validate an email address with PHP
A method of validating emails in PHP without regex.
- Getting the Weather in PHP
How to use a secret google API to get the weather.
- My Resolutions for 2011
New years resolutions ofr 2011
- How To: Hello World in Java (Video)
How to do hello world in Java via netbeans
- How to use the Filter Functions in PHP
An example of how to use PHP filter functions to validate and sanitise strings.